In this section:
IFB Research Foundation Charity no. 1134085
The IFB Research Foundation is established to foster greater knowledge and understanding of family firms and their contribution to the economy and society, as well as the key challenges and opportunities that they face.
The Research Foundation is the only UK charity dedicated to promoting a greater knowledge and understanding of family firms. We are a centre of excellence for family business research.
With a particular focus on the family business sector, we work to benefit the public and to advance education in business and management.
What We Do
The IFB Research Foundation’s publications are designed to create a better understanding of family business, for the benefit of all. Our work covers a broad range of research and publications including:
- IFB Family Business Sector Report – benchmarking the size and importance of the sector.
- IFB Family Business White Papers – thought leadership reports on the behavioural characteristics of family firms.
- IFB Family Business Case Studies – showcasing successful family business exemplars.
- IFB Family Business Challenge Guides – a range of practical guides on key family business issues supplemented by a free online resource offering practical advice.
We disseminate our knowledge and best practice guidance through printed publications available for purchase, and online through the IFB website.
We further understanding of best practice within family businesses by seeking fresh insights into the sector – for the benefit of all stakeholders.
The scope of the IFB Research Foundation's research is to analyse and understand family-owned businesses, their impact on the economy and society, and the challenges that they face. The Foundation’s research falls into four main areas:
- Defining and characterising family businesses
- The social and economic effects of family ownership on the business
- The impact of family businesses on the economy and society
- The impact of Government policy on family businesses
The Foundation’s Research Framework sets out the scope in more detail.
"The IFB Research Foundation focuses on important and fresh topics and I have used its results and insights in my teaching and writing. The researchers it commissions are world-class and the Foundation's work is making a significant difference." John L Ward, Professor of Family Enterprises at Kellogg School of Management (USA) and Founding Principal, The Family Business Consulting Group
Our work is generously supported by a consortium of Research Foundation Benefactors. The Board is seeking to expand this group to ensure that our support for the family business sector can continue and to reach a growing audience while maintaining our high standards. To find out more about supporting the Foundation, please download the prospectus found at the bottom of this page.
Contact the Research Foundation at email@example.com